How many of you have not signed up to Facebook yet? Consider the following statistics:
• More than 400 million active users
• 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
• More than 35 million users update their status each day
• More than 60 million status updates posted each day
• More than 3 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
• More than 5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each week
• More than 3.5 million events created each month
• More than 3 million active Pages on Facebook
• More than 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
• More than 20 million people become fans of Pages each day
• Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans
Average User Figures:
• Average user has 130 friends on the site
• Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
• Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
• Average user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month
• Average user writes 25 comments on Facebook content each month
• Average user becomes a fan of 4 Pages each month
• Average user is invited to 3 events per month
• Average user is a member of 13 groups
This is a lot of opportunities to market your product or services and find potential clients, if you know how to.
Facebook is not about hard selling and aggressive marketing. You should try to contribute to the community, create relationship by sharing useful information, tips, links and videos; all this in a relaxed and casual conversation. Try to create a friendly environment where people can learn about your skills and expertise.
So a critical step is to set up properly your profile. Put pictures, links to your websites; describe who you are, what you do so people become interested in you. Then join tens of groups which are relevant to your niche. You will send/receive friend requests to/from the people in your groups. This will enable you to connect with like-minded people and find targeted followers/potential customers. In addition, these groups can be used as soft emailing list.
The next important step is to set up a Fan page for your business. There are two possibilities, you can establish a fan page for yourself (to brand you as an expert) or for your products. The fan page for your product will be the perfect place for you to sell and to invite people to talk about your product. And if people become fan of your product that is definitely ultra targeted traffic!:o) Furthermore, when somebody becomes a fan of your page, a message is broadcast to all his friends telling so and others may then become interested and do the same. This can be quite viral!
Facebook is definitely a MUST to brand yourself online. I hope I have managed to show you how powerful Facebook can be and I have given you ideas to better take advantage of its functionalities.